Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
SA-SAMS Minimum System Requirements
Lightbulb 
I have been asked about this numerous times and thought it good to compile this write-up:

Basic Terminology:
Dedicated Server:  A machine assigned the specific role of sharing files and resources, thus serving the particular needs of a network, typically running a Windows Server or another Server Operating System.

OS: Operating System, required to boot the computer/device and act as host for other peripherals and application software.

P2P Network:  A Peer-to-Peer Network has no Dedicated Server (i.e. all machines run Windows Desktop Operating Systems), but one or two may typically act as "Servers" by acting as a host for sharing resources, typically File Sharing.

LAN:  A Local Area Network encapsulates the devices and infrastructure such as cables, wireless access points, switches, etc. required to link the computers, laptops and other devices at a particular institution together.

On SA-SAMS System Requirements and Other Considerations:

SA-SAMS utilises minimal resources.  At most, you need ensure that the PC or Server running your SA-SAMS has adequate resources available for its role.  In the instance of a dedicated server or Windows P2P LAN, my considerations would be:

1. Windows Server OS or Windows Desktop OS.  Linux may be used for file sharing, but doesn't provide native support for SA-SAMS.

2. I won't advise going older than Windows 10 Pro, due to the limitations in terms of Windows Updates and browser requirements, e.g. the redundancy of Chrome and IE on earlier iterations to Windows 10.  This is not a limitation due to SA-SAMS, as SA-SAMS can effectively run off a Windows XP PC, if need be.

3. Minimum System Requirements should be adequate in terms of the Windows Server OS roles assigned, or on the Windows Desktop OS, plus application software utilised on the host (Server), e.g. MS Office, Sage Pastel, VIP Classic, Hyper-V, etc.

4. Bear in mind the current limitations of Windows Desktop OS in terms of maximum concurrent device connections, e.g. 20 on Windows 10 Pro.

5. In the instance of Virtualisation Solutions, e.g. VMware ESXi, Microsoft Hyper-V, etc. these requirements should also be taken into consideration, including the number of Virtual Servers that will be hosted off the particular Hypervisor of choice, plus the resources required by each.

6. I prefer CAT5e or CAT6 UTP running off 1 GB/s switches due to its performance gains, also clearly visible in SA-SAMS.  These don't have to be manageable switches, unless the particular setup necessitates the deployment of V-LANs, e.g. Data Network, CCTV Network, PABX Traffic, Biometric Solutions, Tablets used by Learners, etc.

7. Personally, I would advise steering clear of SA-SAMS over Wi-Fi Networks, as far as possible, due to its susceptibility to database corruption on the Access Database side.

8.  If you have been using SA-SAMS for longer than five years, inquire from your Provincial EMIS Department as to the possibility of having some of your older data removed.  If you are able to go this route, keep a copy of you database that contains all of the records to date, somewhere safe, preferably in the Cloud.
Sarel
──────────────────────────────────
sed ipse spiritus postulat pro nobis, gemitibus inenarrabilibus

Thanks for all the info Sarel

Is there any official answer on the Maximum Recommend Number of concurrent users ?
Thank you Mr Sarel
And using WI-FI networks but what i did experience is that some people put a patch in other computers while the server computer is working on SAMS and that makes data be corrupted .

Thanks so much for the information Mr. Sarel