Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corrupt database
Good evening everyone, can someone explain to me what causes sasams database file to be corrupt and how to avoid corrupting the database file especially when working in a network
(05-05-2018, 10:22 PM)Caluzas Wrote: Good evening everyone, can someone explain to me what causes sasams database file to be corrupt and how to avoid corrupting the database file especially when working in a network

Hi 
Sometimes the sasams database gets corrupt if there can be cut in the electricity especially if other computers are still running SASAMS, to avoid this always ensure that you logoff if you are not using SASAMS, ensure that network is not just disconnected abruptly, always keep the latest back and restore from it if this happens, alternatively you may send to your district for repair.
TI Lebone
SES-EMIS
When trying to repair a database it asks for password, where would one get this from? The District?
Hello ZigZag,

It would be best to ask the District to assist you with the database compact and repair.  If you don't manage, please mail me at [email protected] so that I can assist you.
Sarel
──────────────────────────────────
sed ipse spiritus postulat pro nobis, gemitibus inenarrabilibus

(05-07-2018, 10:43 AM)SarelK Wrote: Hello ZigZag,

It would be best to ask the District to assist you with the database compact and repair.  If you don't manage, please mail me at [email protected] so that I can assist you.

How do we avoid the corruption of the data base?

All good SarelK - retrieved password & repaired myself. District has too many "hoops" to jump thru

(05-07-2018, 04:01 PM)Caluzas Wrote:

How do we avoid the corruption of the data base?

To be honest Caluzas, you cannot it happens when least expected.
But try to stick best practises when working on DB.
- Assign each Educator their own user/pass
- Make sure users know to log off & close SAMS
- If using a server (networked environment) you should have a UPS connected to server & router/switch. In case of power failures.
- Make sure you set a scheduled DB backup everyday
MS Access Databases were never designed to handle this kind (Volumes and poor data structures) of transactional data - especially by multiple users....
Make a backup every morning, zip the database (compresses to about 2-5 MB) and upload to a cloud or keep on multiple USB's - if the database goes corrupt - you have a backup of less than 24 hours age.
(05-09-2018, 08:02 AM)[email protected] Wrote: MS Access Databases were never designed to handle this kind (Volumes and poor data structures) of transactional data - especially by multiple users....
Make a backup every morning, zip the database (compresses to about 2-5 MB) and upload to a cloud or keep on multiple USB's - if the database goes corrupt - you have a backup of less than 24 hours age.

True, wonder if they plan on migrating DB in future.
In the meanwhile just write a bat or ps script & use task scheduler to do it all for you Wink
We run a program called Backup Maker, which makes backups every 4 hours automatically to avoid more than a few hours of data loss

https://www.lifewire.com/backup-maker-review-2617897