Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3.7 Demerits and Merit Module
Good day

I want to know how to manage the demerits/merits system better.

For example, if a learner gets 100 detention points and he/she has detention, shouldn't he/she be removed from the next detention list (if they haven't earned additional points)? Because every time I print out the detention list, everybody is on that list (since Jan 2017), some of the learners only had to sit once, but their names stays on the detention list. Is there a setting or something that I miss?

However, the total detention points must stay on the learner's profile/report card.
Hello there Sonneveld Akademie,

The short answer: no, SA-SAMS currently doesn't deal with detention in the fashion that you described - it has been reported.

I would like more details on how you set up your detention settings on SA-SAMS and how your unique need at the school works (at how regular intervals your detention sessions occur, how many sessions before expulsion is considered and if you use the Merits component as well).  Please mail me at [email protected] (you are welcome to do so in either Afrikaans on English).

The main challenge from a development perspective is that every school has the right to determine how they address disciplinary matters.  It makes it a nightmare to implement a system on National scale that would cater for all schools' disciplinary needs.  That being said, I believe that this is one component that can be tweaked by the developers to be more suited and more customisable for all schools.

You are also more than welcome to send your suggestions to Carinne van der Westhuizen ([email protected]) at any stage.

Kind regards
Sarel
──────────────────────────────────
sed ipse spiritus postulat pro nobis, gemitibus inenarrabilibus

Good day

We started using the module this year. 

We were confused when a learner that should have been in detention did not appear on the detention list, until we discovered that Merits cancel out Demerits. At that point we found the same for all learners, meaning the detention list was unusable. Is there some place to disable this setting? Ideally, Demerits and Merits should be managed separately.

At our school we also have non-teaching staff who don't seem to be allowed to allocate Merits and Demerits to the learners in SA-SAMS.
Pete Smit
Wartburg Kirchdorf School - IT Manager
Visit: www.wartburg.co.za
Also on this topic, is there any way that you guys know of that an entire class can be printed at a time with a detailed printout of all the demerts against them

Having to print each learner one by one becomes a tedious process
Good morning all
I would like to know if there is any merits that we can record for the good learners.
Curently this feature is dealing with the bad element only.
I like to encourage my students with positive encourgement for good behaviour:
Always on time for class;
Diligence during class activities;
10 improvement on assessment tasks; etc.
(01-24-2019, 10:12 AM)carmenns Wrote: Good morning all
I would like to know if there is any merits that we can record for the good learners.
10  improvement on assessment tasks; etc.

When you open Menu 1.11, be sure to select the merit codes option at the top drop down list and from there when you add new one's it will be for merits and not demerits
Wink 
(01-24-2019, 06:21 PM)Pro-IT Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 10:12 AM)carmenns Wrote: Good morning all
10  improvement on assessment tasks; etc.

When you open Menu 1.11, be sure to select the merit codes option at the top drop down list and from there when you add new one's it will be for merits and not demerits

thank you for the direction! I've noticed that there are only demerits listed. Therefore I'll create my own merits for our own school.