SA-SAMS Lock Error Messages - Printable Version

+- SA-SAMS Forum (
+-- Forum: General (
+--- Forum: News and Announcement on Patches/Updates (
+--- Thread: SA-SAMS Lock Error Messages (/showthread.php?tid=191)

SA-SAMS Lock Error Messages - SarelK - 03-12-2018

For Schools experiencing Database Lock messages when logging in to SA-SAMS, try the following:

1. Ensure all users are logged out of SA-SAMS.

2. Login to SA-SAMS with an Administrator or equivalent user with access to 16. Security and Database Functions.

3. On 16.15. System: Logs Setup, ensure that 801 Keep DB Open is selected/ticked.

4. Logout of SA-SAMS and inform users that they can login again.

NB: When changing this setting, all users should exit SA-SAMS and re-enter it after the change was made successfully.

Please post any related questions/problems in this thread.

RE: SA-SAMS Lock Error Messages - jennib - 03-13-2018

Thanks for the suggestion but sadly after try your fix we are still getting Database lock messages for logging on to SA Sams and for getting into individual subjects. Going into 16.14 and removing the data lock does not help. Any other ideas? 
When I go to 16.14 I get this message:

Error: 2147217900
Error Description: Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression "SysSessionsLocks.LockType = 'SBA' AND SysSessionsLocks, DessionID='
Procedure: Load Tree Data Routine

RE: SA-SAMS Lock Error Messages - SarelK - 03-13-2018

Hello jennib,

Much has been speculated about this phenomenon's appearance with Patch 18.0.0.  In my humble opinion, the Database Lock error message, that prevents users from logging on to SA-SAMS, bears no reference to the transition from Patch 17.3.0 to 18.0.0.

Some findings, that I would like to share as suggestions:

1. Schools that use Wi-Fi network infrastructure to access SA-SAMS are more prone to this phenomenon.

1.1 The first question that I ask, is whether the school utilises an internal Wi-Fi network.

1.2 If not, refer to paragraph 2, below.

1.3 If they do, the second question is whether they are using SA-SAMS via the Wi-Fi network.

1.4 The third question would be, whether they are getting disconnected from SA-SAMS often, with resulting error messages.

1.5 In the majority of cases it would seem that the sessions aren’t terminated properly via Wi-Fi.

1.6 This is not a problem with SA-SAMS; rather the “volatile” nature of Wi-Fi infrastructure in terms of TCP/IP packet loss and/or using older technology or inadequate infrastructure (not enough coverage via access points), in my opinion.

Note: To a degree, it would be the equivalent of switching off your computer, or disabling the network adapter, without terminating SA-SAMS by means of the Exit button.

2. Schools are not compacting their databases from within SA-SAMS on a regular basis.

2.1 In my humble opinion, this should be done once or twice a week, at least, to prevent database bloat.  I prefer to do this on a daily basis.

2.2 The Administrator should be keeping close tabs on the size of the database and compact it when necessary.  This will be more common when large amounts of work has been done, e.g. capturing/importing of marks, SIAS, etc.

2.3 In most instances, this resolves the lock error messages.

2.4 If this doesn’t suffice, I prefer to perform a Compact and Repair on the Database from within MS Access.

3. Last, I make a habit of clearing out the TMP files in the following folders:
  • C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore
Where %USERNAME% implies the username of the user logged into the computer/laptop/thin client.

ONLY when no users are working on SA-SAMS: TMP files in the actual location where the database is hosted/stored, e.g:
  • C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\EdusolSAMS\Data
  • The network share, e.g. Z: drive
  • Other shared folder if thin clients are used, or in the instance of third-party solutions, e.g. EDUPAC, SASPAC, etc.

• Extreme caution should be exercised not to delete the actual database or the Library database!

• Extreme caution should be exercised when moving the database from a network share to a local machine and back, in order to compact it, to prevent duplicate databases!

Keep me posted if any of this resolves your problem, or not.  If not, send me an e-mail at so that we can arrange an online meeting by means of TeamViewer.

Kind regards